Victorian Current Acts

[Index] [Table] [Search] [Search this Act] [Notes] [Noteup] [Previous] [Next] [Download] [Help]


Who may bring proceedings for offences?

S. 86(1) substituted by No. 73/2011 s. 11(1), amended by No. 37/2014 s. 10(Sch. item 155.24).

    (1)     Subject to subsection (1A), proceedings for an offence against this Act or the regulations may only be brought by a police officer.

Note to s. 86(1) amended by No. 37/2014 s. 10(Sch. item 155.24).


Proceedings for an offence against section 126 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987 in relation to land used for the purposes of the operation of a brothel may be brought by a police officer under that Act.

S. 86(1A) inserted by No. 73/2011 s. 11(1).

    (1A)     Proceedings for an offence against a provision referred to in section 26(a) or the regulations may be brought by—

        (a)     the Director; or

        (b)     a person authorised by the Director for the purposes of this section.

    (2)     In proceedings for an offence against this Act it must be presumed, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, that the person bringing the proceedings was authorised to bring the proceedings.

S. 86(3) substituted by No. 73/2011 s. 11(2).

    (3)     Subsections (1) and (1A) do not apply to a proceeding for an indictable offence in which a direct indictment is filed.

S. 86A inserted by No. 103/2004 s. 61, amended by Nos 17/2007 s. 36(Sch. item 11), 2/2008 s. 60(Sch. item 9.2), 72/2010 s. 48(Sch. item 18), substituted by No. 21/2012 s. 239(Sch. 6 item 42.6).

AustLII: Copyright Policy | Disclaimers | Privacy Policy | Feedback